Friday, July 17, 2009

July 17, 2009

Hey all.

Ok, here's my latest update. I'm going to work on the episode of FF X2, but there's still no promise I'll have it by August 1. I do have another project I'd like to introduce to you--just something I've been kicking around in my head.

It's not so much making fun of video games, but is more along the line of reviews. See, I've been working (slowly) to build my collection of old NES, SNES, etc. games in my personal collection. For the most part, though, it's only for collection purposes. In some cases, I only played it once for purposes of remembering it from my childhood; in other cases, I haven't even played them yet. And it got me thinking...

You know how back in the day before the internet, you had to play a game to see what it was about? There was no going online to see what kind of ratings it got, and not every single game was covered in Nintendo Power. So, basically, you were taking a chance. The first thing you saw was the impression it would leave on you. The memories you carry even today were from firsthand experience. That doesn't exist anymore today. People thoroughly research a game before buying or even playing it. People don't want to be disappointed. People don't want to waste money.

Well, I'm going to revisit those days. I'm going to review games that I either haven't played in years and years, or have never played. We have a local used game store that sells some games really cheap, so I think I'll go up about once a month, buy a game for 5 or 6 bucks, and just review it while I play it. You'll get to see my honest-to-goodness reaction to a first view of the game. Thus, you won't be getting a thoroughly researched impression, like reviewers in magazines give it. You're going to experience it along with me, first hand, as if you and I were both seeing it for the first time. I'll probably play it for 5 or 10 minutes to get the controls and feel of it before reviewing, but I wanna save the surprises for you.

I'm going to play around with this idea with a game or two to see what it turns out like, and if I like it, I'll start putting some of these up on the site.

-Daniel

No comments: